Yes, we can glue your veins shut!
The safety is well established as it has been used in abnormal blood vessels in the brain for quite a while. However it was so expensive that it was not used in varicose veins, until last year when the price was slashed. At present treatment with glue costs the same as with laser and is also funded by most of insurance companies.*
Please have a look at the animation explaining the idea of the procedure under the link below
The advantages are:
1. Only one tiny prick of local anaesthetic – the method perfect for patients with needle-phobia!
2. No discomfort during the procedure
3. Often no stocking required (depending on anatomy) – perfect during a hot summer!
5. Recovery quick and hardly any discomfort or awareness
6. Does not stiffen so no effect on joints, and not able to feel it
1. As it is very new, there are no long term results, and our experience is still limited..
2. Some early experience published in the medical literature suggests large veins do not have a good result, but the series was performed incorrectly.
3. Very small risk of DVT (like in case of laser and sclerotherapy)
4. There were single cases worldwide of atypical reaction to the glue which resulted in formation of granuloma – palpable nodule which eventually had to be cut out under local anaestesia. Therefore the method is contraindicated in patients with multiple allergic diseases or autoimmune conditions.
The specific risk and potential side effects of the procedure will be discussed with you by your doctor during the an initial consult.
*please refer to your insurance policy